Why do mustard seeds have strong antimicrobial properties?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

Researchers from the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada, found that the antimicrobial properties of mustard seed are so strong that, when added to hamburger meat, it could kill E. coli bacteria. The compound responsible for this is allyl isothiocyanate. The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported that this compound can also kill listeria, Staphylococcus aureus, and other food-borne pathogens. The prepared mustard typically consumed in the United States does not contain allyl isothiocyanate.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Eating and Society

3 Tips to Buy Healthy Groceries on a Budget
Sources can be hard to pinpoint. If someone asked you, “What’s the major source of junk food in the American diet,” and you answered, “Convenience sto...
Have our bodies adapted to our diet?
The modern diet of mass-produced food, fast food, and high sugars is relatively new. Our ancestors o...
Why does junk food cost less than health food?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
One of the first things I noticed when I started food shopping for myself was how expensive heal...
Give These Junk Food Faves a Healthy Makeover