Should people with diabetes avoid eating fruit?

Emilia Klapp
Fruits are a good source of antioxidants, which diabetics need to prevent and fight the oxidation that high levels of blood glucose can cause. However, they should pay attention to which fruits they eat and how many portions they consume a day. Diabetics should eat no more than three pieces of fruit per day, focusing on ones with a low glycemic index. These include apples, fresh apricots, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, nectarines, grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, prunes, plums, fresh pears, fresh peaches, and pomegranates.
Toby Smithson

People with diabetes absolutely can fit fruit into their eating plan. Fruit provides a wealth of vitamins and minerals, fiber, and are low in fat. Fruit should be included as part of a healthy diet. The key for people with diabetes is to know the serving size of the fruit in relation to the carbohydrate content. Typically a serving of fruit contains 15 grams of carbohydrate. As a comparison for a 15 gram carbohydrate serving, one and one quarter cups of watermelon or stawberries is equal to 1 medium peach or 2 Tablespoons raisins.

Vandana  R. Sheth
People with diabetes do not have to avoid eating fruit. Fruit count as carbohydrates and as long as they are enjoyed as part of the overall carb intake for the day -- they are a good choice. Watch your portions and understand what counts as a carb serving. Whole fruit is definitely a better choice rather than the juice. Fruits with higher fiber content are better options since they will be converted to sugar more gradually.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

What You Eat May Increase Your Risk for Alzheimer’s Disease
If you could only watch Sergio Leone westerns (A Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time in the West, My Name is Nobody), that steady diet of macho and m...
Should I change my diet if I have a chronic condition?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
You may need to change your diet if you have a chronic condition. With a chronic condition, a carefu...
How does drinking soda affect diabetes?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
For some people, simply ending their soda habit can bring them down to a healthy weight. When you ha...
What Factors Have Contributed to Worldwide Obesity?