How does food affect how my blood glucose levels?

How much your blood glucose changes after a meal depends on many things. Different foods have different amounts of carbohydrate and will produce different amounts of glucose. Carbohydrates come in several forms that take various amounts of time to be digested and that affect the blood glucose differently. Fat or protein can slow down digestion and the rate at which glucose levels rise. High-protein foods can raise blood glucose levels but do so more slowly than foods containing mostly carbohydrate.

Continue Learning about Eating & Nutrition For Diseases

Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
Taking a Bite Out of Heart Disease
In order to prepare for the lead role in the 2013 bio-pic Jobs, Ashton Kutscher opted for a fruitarian diet. Guess he wanted to get inside the insides...
What foods should I eat if I am taking antibiotics?
Sari GreavesSari Greaves
Try to add some yogurt to your diet when taking antibiotics -- it is high in calcium and can als...
Why should I stick to a regular eating schedule if I have diabetes?
Kate MyersonKate Myerson
Sticking to a regular eating schedule can help regulate blood sugars if your carbohydrate intake is ...
4 Foods for Strong Bones
4 Foods for Strong Bones