How quickly does cauliflower ear appear after an injury?

A cauliflower-like swelling can appear within minutes or hours after an ear injury. However, the blood clot under the skin takes days to kill the cartilage in the ear. In the meantime, a doctor can treat the ear, save the cartilage, and prevent a permanent cauliflower ear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s swimmer’s ear?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if:The symptoms (ear pain or ear drainage) not improved in 48 hours with   ...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections