What are the possible complications of perichondritis?

Without treatment, perichondritis can lead to "cartilage necrosis," which means the cartilage in your ear dies. This complication results when the flow of blood to the cartilage is blocked by the buildup of pus caused by the infection. Without this blood supply, the cartilage dies. At this point, your doctor must surgically remove the cartilage, thus causing a change in the shape of the ear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
How does aging affect ear disorders?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?