What lifestyle changes should I make if I have dry socket?

If you have dry socket, some lifestyle changes can help you cope with the condition. It may be difficult but you should refrain from using tobacco products. Drink a lot more water so you stay hydrated. It also may help to rinse your mouth with warm salt water.

Lifestyle changes are not particularly helpful in treating dry socket. If you have dry socket, a painful condition that occurs when a blood clot dislodges after a tooth extraction, your dentist will clean the area, and pack it with a medicated dressing or paste, or in some cases, a sponge soaked with an antibiotic solution. This treatment will help reduce the pain.

You can also take painkillers, either prescription or over-the-counter, for a few days. The pain usually goes away relatively quickly and the dry socket should heal within a few weeks. Once your dentist removes the packing, he or she will show you how to keep the socket area clean.
If you have dry socket, you should avoid cigarette smoking or other tobacco use, as it can delay healing. You should also avoid drinking through a straw while the site heals.

Treatment may include cleaning the site of the extraction and placing a medicated dressing in the socket, which may need changed daily.

Maintain your normal oral health routine of brushing twice daily and flossing once daily, but try to avoid the area immediately next to the socket.

Continue Learning about Dry Socket

How does dry socket affect women differently than men?
Women are 20% more likely than men to get dry socket. This is most likely due to estrogen, a female ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry socket?
When caring for someone with dry socket, there are several ways you can help them. You can place ice...
What is dry socket?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A dry socket sometimes occurs after a tooth is pulled. Listen as Dr. Maria Howell Lopez explains wha...
What is the rate of incidence for dry socket?
Dry socket is a problem that affects 3 to 5% of people who have a tooth extracted. The people who ge...