Why does my mouth get dry when I'm sleeping?

Dry mouth, also called xerostomia, results from an inadequate flow of saliva. Snoring or breathing with an open mouth can lead to dry mouth. Using a humidifier in the room at night can help to relieve dry mouth.
Saliva helps to keep your mouth moist and also removes food and debris from your mouth. Sleeping with your mouth open and breathing through your mouth can cause a dry mouth in the morning.

A dry or stuffy bedroom can also cause dry mouth. Some people find that humidifiers are useful in adding moisture to the bedroom air during sleep. In addition, you might try drinking a glass of water before going to bed to reduce the chance of dry mouth.

Unusual mouth dryness may be a side effect of medical conditions such as diabetes or medications such as antihistamines. Talk to your doctor if dry mouth is a persistent problem. Your doctor may also prescribe a medication to help increase your saliva production.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

If you've ever taken an antihistamine, decongestant, antidepressant or a number of other drugs, you may have experienced dry mouth (xerostomia). Dry mouth is caused by a lack of saliva or your saliva may feel thick and stringy. Si...

de effects of medication are the most common cause of dry mouth. Fortunately there are remedies for dry mouth; talk to your doctor if symptoms are severe. Learn more about preventing and treating dry mouth with expert advice from Sharecare.