Is there a cure for dry mouth?

There is no cure for dry mouth; however, you can alleviate your symptoms by taking frequent small sips of water or by eating sugar-free candy or chewing gum to stimulate saliva flow. You can also ask your dentist to recommend an artificial saliva and there are also prescription medications available to treat dry mouth.

Taking care of your teeth and gums and regular dental visits are important when living with dry mouth. Without the cleansing effects of saliva, tooth decay and other oral health problems become more common.

Dry mouth, or xerostomia, is often a side effect of a medication and can be easily cured by discontinuing the medication or using a different dosage as directed by a doctor. However, sometimes dry mouth is caused by damage to the salivary glands, which cannot be cured or corrected. In these cases, it is best to follow at-home treatments for dry mouth.

There is no cure for dry mouth, or xerostomia. This common problem happens when you don't have enough saliva in the mouth. Saliva, a lubricant, is filled with chemicals that bathe the teeth, protecting them from acid-producing bacteria that can cause cavities.

Dry mouth makes it difficult to speak, chew food, and even swallow. While no cure exists, these daily treatments can help you live with dry mouth:
  • Rinsing the mouth frequently with water
  • Using special oral rinses and toothpastes for dry mouth
  • Chewing sugar-free gum or candy
See a doctor for help in treating the underlying condition causing dry mouth.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

How do I manage my dry mouth on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Frequent small sips of water can alleviate dry mouth. Sugar-free candy or gum stimulate saliva flow,...
Is dry mouth contagious?
Dry mouth is often uncomfortable, but is not contagious. There are many causes for dry mouth, includ...
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can I Do to Relieve Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?
What Can Cause Dry Mouth?