Should I talk to my doctor about my dry mouth symptoms?

If you feel like your mouth is always dry, it may be time to seek treatment. A dentist will check your teeth for signs of decay that can result from decreased salivary flow. A physician will test for any underlying disease or conditions that may be causing your dry mouth.  

Your symptoms of dry mouth (xerostomia) could range from merely annoying (dry lips) to potentially dangerous (difficulty eating or swallowing due to thick, stringy saliva). You should tell your doctor about your symptoms, because xerostomia can lead to many problems. Without saliva, you have an increased risk of developing tooth decay (cavities) and infections (gingivitis, periodontitis). If your dry mouth symptoms are severe, you may not be able to chew or swallow your food correctly, so you may begin eating less.

Finally, even if you are not having any major difficulties managing your dry mouth, you should be aware that dry mouth could be a symptom of another disease or condition. For example, the autoimmune disease called Sjogren's syndrome often causes dry mouth and eyes, but may also affect the joints, nerves, lungs, or kidneys.

If you are experiencing dry mouth, or xerostomia, only every once in a while, it may not be necessary to speak with your doctor about your symptoms. However, if you experience chronic dry mouth, it is important to see your doctor. Chronic dry mouth can cause dental decay and disease, and speaking with your doctor can help you avoid this.

Continue Learning about Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

If you've ever taken an antihistamine, decongestant, antidepressant or a number of other drugs, you may have experienced dry mouth (xerostomia). Dry mouth is caused by a lack of saliva or your saliva may feel thick and stringy. Si...

de effects of medication are the most common cause of dry mouth. Fortunately there are remedies for dry mouth; talk to your doctor if symptoms are severe. Learn more about preventing and treating dry mouth with expert advice from Sharecare.