What do I need to know about caring for someone with dry eyes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You may not need medical treatment for some eye dryness, but if you experience persistent irritation, fatigue, or redness of the eyes, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may be caused by an inadequate amount of tears or poor tear quality. There are a number of treatment options that can be effective for relieving the condition.

Caring for someone with dry eyes can mean helping create an environment that does not make the condition worse. Using a humidifier can help keep moisture in the air. Changes to a person's diet, such as drinking eight to 10 glasses of water per day and eating foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, can also help. 

Continue Learning about Dry Eyes

How Do Dry Eyes Affect Women Differently Than Men?
Do dry eyes affect men and women differently? In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, discusses why women are more susceptible than men wh...
What can I do if I have dry eyes or conjunctivitis?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Most people don't value what they have until they lose it. This truly applies to vision. People don'...
Are dry eyes serious?
Dry eyes are generally more irritating than serious, although complications can threaten normal visi...
Should I be worried about dry eyes?
If you are over the age of 65 and you are experiencing eye irritation over an extended period, you m...