How does Down syndrome affect cognitive delays?

All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses. Be considerate of the extra time it might take a person who has a disability to get things done or said.

This content originally appeared on the National Down Syndrome Society website.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

How can I teach my Down syndrome child not to hit or pull hair?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
First, take a deep breath. It always helps.Children with Down syndrome are going to have some of the...
What is the likelihood of having a second child with Down syndrome?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The likelihood of having a second child with Down syndrome is 1 in 100. The risk is higher if the mo...
Why Does an Extra Copy of One Gene in Down Syndrome Patients Have Such a Profound Effect?
The Connection Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease