What is the best way to care for a newborn with Down syndrome?

Newborns with Down syndrome need the same thing as other babies: lots of love. Babies with a heart defect may need oxygen through a tube in the nose, or they may need surgery. Some infants with Down syndrome may not need any special medical treatments at all. They will need regular medical checkups and may need to see doctors who are specialists as well. 

If no other underlying medical conditions are present, then caring for a newborn with Down syndrome (DS) is more similar to caring for any newborn than it is different. Like any baby, loving and nurturing care is crucial for growth and development.  Having said this, some babies with DS may have trouble feeding because of low muscle tone in the mouth and face. Speech and occupational therapists can show you some techniques to support your child while nursing or taking a bottle.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

What is Down syndrome?
Down syndrome is a chromosomal disorder that results in some degree of mental retardation. It occurs...
How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
Why Does an Extra Copy of One Gene in Down Syndrome Patients Have Such a Profound Effect?
How Was the Connection Between Down's Syndrome and Alzehimer's Disease Made?