Why do some foods cause foul-smelling gas?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Bacteria in the gut produce foul-smelling gases when they ferment undigested foods that have not been absorbed in the small intestine. These foods consist mostly of carbohydrates, sugars, and fats. The carbohydrates found in high-fiber foods, such as beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, are the worst culprits. These foods release gases such as methane and hydrogen sulfide, which smells like rotten eggs. The worst odor is related to strong-smelling sulfurs that make up just 1% of flatulence or flatus (gas that escapes from the rectum).

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Everyone burps and passes gas. Some do these things more often than others. It can be loud and sometimes smelly, but gas is a normal part of the diges...
How do the intestines work?
Dr. Muslim Atiq, MDDr. Muslim Atiq, MD
Our intestinal tract works by absorbing our food and breaking it down into the nutrients we need and...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?