What should I take for vomiting?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

For one or two episodes of vomiting, you should cautiously hydrate with sips of an electrolyte drink such as Gatorade and wait and see. However, for those occasional wicked stomach viruses that cause nonstop throwing up all night, reach for a prescription that you should keep on hand: Phenergan (promethazine).

This drug comes in suppositories as well as pills. When a family member is ready to deal with a suppository, they really need it.

Note that Phenergan makes you sleepy, which is often a desired side effect, but it also can be addictive -- this is for infrequent intense nausea, not for daily use.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Eat This Leafy Green for Your Colon
Eat This Leafy Green for Your Colon
Keep your colon polyp-free by using this leafy green in your fresh summer salads: spinach. This dark leafy green is loaded with magnesium—and a Japan...
Why do I belch loudly after eating?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Prolonged deep belching after eating is almost certainly due to excessive swallowing of air. (The me...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Should I Look for in a High-Quality Probiotic?