What are the risk factors for gallbladder disease?

Some of the risk factors for gallbladder disease include being female, over age 60, overweight or obese or pregnant. Other risk factors are having family members with gallbladder disease and having diabetes. Certain ethnic groups are more likely to get gallbladder disease, such as Native Americans and Mexican Americans. There are also dietary factors that can contribute, such as eating a lot of foods that are high in cholesterol and fat and low in fiber.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Try These Oils to Relieve Constipation
Try These Oils to Relieve Constipation
Did you know when it started in 1919, the comic strip Popeye was called Thimble Theatre and there was no muscle-bound, spinach-eating sailor in sight?...
How often should I have a bowel movement?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
It's not a medical concept, but a myth that you've got to move your bowels each day to be healthy. I...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Are Some Factors That Can Deplete My Digestive Enzyme Levels?