What does my poop say about my colon health?

Bowel health is reflected by stool (poop). When there is colon inflammation, the stool may be diarrhea (loose or watery and more frequent). There are several common causes of inflammation in the colon including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, bacterial infections, and poor blood flow to the colon.
Both inflammation and tumors can cause blood in the stool although the most common cause of bleeding is hemorrhoids, a benign condition. Constipation, which may cause hard, pellet-like stools, is usually due to slow movement of stool through the colon.
Either prolonged diarrhea or constipation are reasons to see your doctor for evaluation of the cause. 

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Why Your Colon Loves Winter
Why Your Colon Loves Winter
Here's a great reason to celebrate colder weather and shorter days: They usher in visits from a family that brings color to your dinners and good tidi...
What are some of the most commonly treated digestive problems?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
GERD, IBS, Chron's disorder, colitis, and swallowing disorders are the most common gastro ailments g...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room