What can affect the size of my stool?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
Small, hard stools are typical in people eating a low-fiber Western diet, and are associated with a higher risk for ultimately developing diverticulosis and colon cancer. Constipation is often associated with small, difficult-to-pass stools, and people suffering from constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are particularly prone to having small stools. A high-fiber diet or regular use of a bulking agent like psyllium husk will lead to larger, softer stools in most people, making defecation easier.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

The Best Foods for Good Gut Bacteria
The Best Foods for Good Gut Bacteria
Your digestive tract contains a metropolis of bacteria that helps digest and absorb nutrients from the food you eat. Recent research finds, however, t...
Is there a way to control noisy stomachs?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
One way to mute a noisy belly is to eat more small meals and fewer large ones. This will give your d...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Can I Detoxify My Digestive Tract Naturally?