What is the role of the pancreas in digestion?

The role of the pancreas in digestion is to make enzymes that are needed to help break down food. Enzymes are stored in the pancreas until a person has a meal. The pancreas has an opening that is normally covered in a thin and watery mucus. The enzymes flow easily through this opening into the small intestine where they're needed to help digestion. The pancreas is located near the small intestine.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Why Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence Facts
Why Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence Facts
Find out why we fart, how often we fart and other stinky facts about passing gas. Everyone farts. Whether you find it embarrassing or disgusting depen...
More Women Have These 5 Digestive Problems
More Women Have These 5 Digestive ProblemsMore Women Have These 5 Digestive ProblemsMore Women Have These 5 Digestive ProblemsMore Women Have These 5 Digestive Problems
Ladies, watch out for these stomach, intestinal and gallbladder issues. This might be news to guys—and even some women—but females are more prone to c...
How Can Antibiotic Use Affect Bacteria Balance in the Stomach (Gut Flora)?
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?