What is a oropharyngeal motility (swallowing) study?

Also called a modified barium swallow test, this procedure is used to evaluate difficulty in swallowing. The patient is given small amounts of a liquid containing barium to drink with a bottle, spoon, or cup. Barium is a metallic, chemical, chalky, liquid used to coat the inside of organs so that they will show up on an x-ray. A series of x-rays are taken to evaluate what happens as the liquid is swallowed.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Stomach Bug or Food Poisoning? Here's How to Tell
Plagued with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea? There could be several conditions causing your discomfort, such as a bug you caught from y...
How do the intestines work?
Dr. Muslim Atiq, MDDr. Muslim Atiq, MD
Our intestinal tract works by absorbing our food and breaking it down into the nutrients we need and...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?