How can eating too much sugar affect my liver?

Lee T. Austin, MD
Gastroenterology
Sugar is made up of glucose and fructose and both are metabolized in the liver. When too much sugar is consumed, the liver converts it to a lipid; overproduction of the lipid causes the sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) to shut down. SHBG regulates the hormones testosterone and estrogen available throughout the body, so when there is less SHBG, there is more testosterone and estrogen circulating. Increased testosterone and estrogen cause an increase in acne, infertility, polycystic ovarian syndrome, and uterine cancer in overweight women. It can also cause an increase in cardiovascular disease, especially in women. Consumption of large amounts of sugar has also been shown to cause fatty liver disease in children
Your liver can be damaged by something other than drinking too much alcohol - too much sugar!

Watch as Dr. Alan Greene, Dr. Miriam Vos, and Dr. Oz discuss how too much sugar affects your liver in this video.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

People Are Drinking Charcoal: Here’s What You Need to Know
Wellness brands and social media influencers alike have embraced activated charcoal as the hottest new health craze. Labels boast that activated charc...
How often should I have a bowel movement?
Dr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MDDr. Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
It's not a medical concept, but a myth that you've got to move your bowels each day to be healthy. I...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room
Introducing Dr. Oz’s On-Set Exam Room