How does a healthy digestive system work?

A healthy digestive system begins working when food is eaten. After food has been chewed and swallowed, it travels down the esophagus, or food pipe, and into the stomach where it’s mashed up into small pieces. The useful parts of food travel into the bloodstream to be used by the cells. And the rest goes through the intestines to be expelled as a bowel movement.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating. Bloating: it’s a not-so-fresh feeling in your gut that makes you wish you hadn’t eaten so much at lunch....
What Foods and Drinks Can Trigger Digestive Problems?
What Are Some Guidelines to Keep in Mind When Buying Probiotics?
How Does What I Eat Affect the Good Bacteria in My Gut?