How does a duodenal ulcer affect the body?

A duodenal ulcer has a direct effect on a person's duodenum lining, or the lining of the small intestine. In fact, the disorder occurs when the small intestine lining cannot repair itself or resist the bacterial that tends to cause sores. Duodenal ulcers can be present for several years, with pain re-occurring in patterns.

Individuals with ulcers also have risks that others dont have to worry about. The duodenal ulcer may penetrate the small intestine and affect a nearby organ, causing intense pain. Bleeding, which can be serious and require a blood transfusion, and rupture may also occur. People who have duodenal ulcers are more likely to develop cancer than people without the disorder, and infection of the abdominal cavity is more likely.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Leafy Greens - Fuel for Good Gut Bacteria
When future basketball Hall-of-Famer Bill Walton was winning NBA championships for the Portland Trail Blazers and others, he was the best-known vegeta...
Why could my body reject a transplanted liver?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Your body may reject a new liver if the immune system views the tissue as an intruder.
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
How Do I Know If I Have a Digestive Enzyme Deficiency?