What is functional dyspepsia and its symptoms?

Functional Dyspepsia is indigestion or an upset stomach for which there is no detectable structural cause, such as an ulcer, but rather, a functional reason, such as muscles or nerves that control the organs not functioning properly. It is very common in the US, with an estimated 20% of Americans reporting symptoms.

Symptoms of Dyspepsia include a pain or burning feeling in the upper abdominal area, belching, nausea, and sometimes vomiting, and bloating. These symptoms often come after eating.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Taking Control of Your Hiccups
Taking Control of Your Hiccups
When Neko Case sings Honky Tonk Hiccups, you can feel her agony: “I started getting hiccups 'round suppertime. Held my breath 'til I hit the floor, bu...
How can a polyp turn into colon cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Most colon cancers arise from polyps, which are growths on the lining of your colon. These polyps ar...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Is the Role of the Gut in the Immune System?