Are duodenal ulcers caused by stress?

In the past, many doctors thought peptic ulcers, or sores in the lining of the stomach or small intestine, were caused by stress. Eating spicy foods was also considered a cause of duodenal ulcers. However, doctors today know that duodenal ulcers, or ulcers in the small intestine, are the result of two primary causes?bacteria and some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like aspirin. Other diseases, like stomach cancer, can also cause ulcers. While doctors know that stress does not cause duodenal ulcers today, they agree that stress can cause more stomach acid, which makes ulcers more painful.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
I hear concerns about gas and bloating all the time from patients. What may freak you out is that the average adult produces about one to three pints ...
What happens if my appendix bursts?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
When the appendix bursts, the result is that feces and bacteria can get into the belly, which can ca...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Foods and Drinks Can Trigger Digestive Problems?