Can refractory ulcers run in families?

Refractory ulcers occur when a peptic ulcer does not respond to treatment. For this reason, a refractory ulcer cannot run in a family. Instead, it is caused by lifestyle (smoking, using alcohol, taking aspirin and related medicines) or a biological problem, like a serious disease or an overproduction of stomach acid. One type of peptic ulcer, however, a duodenal ulcer, can run in families. Family history can be a factor when it comes to refractory ulcers or ulcers in general.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

60 Minutes to a Healthier Colon
60 Minutes to a Healthier Colon
One in three adults will get colon polyps, but the odds drop to one in four if you do this for just 1 hour each week: exercise. Any activity will do....
How can I get my digestion back on track?
Bowel problems are not just uncomfortable -- they're extremely common, especially as people get ...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Is Constipation Treated in Children?