Why do I feel fatigue and confusion when I use my G-tube?

The gastrostomy tube (G-tube) is a type of feeding tube insertion in which a tube passes through the skin and the stomach wall, directly into the stomach. A feeding tube transports liquid nutrition to the stomach. The G-tube is a more permanent type of feeding tube and is used for many patients who have difficulty swallowing. Following a G-tube insertion, the stomach and abdomen generally heal in 5 to 7 days.

In most cases, pain is managed with medications. If you are taking new medications for pain, check with your doctor about any possible adverse reactions to the medications you are already taking. Alternatively, you may not be getting enough nutrition from your feedings or the feeds may be causing the dumping syndrome characterized by sweating, belly discomfort, low blood sugar and diarrhea. Dumping is caused by undigested sugars flooding the small bowel and may occur with highly concentrated feedings being delivered too quickly.

Check with your gastroenterologist to ensure your G-tube is functioning correctly and you are using the correct type and amount of nutritional formula.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
What is an EGD?
EGD stands for esophagogastroduodenoscopy. An EGD is a diagnostic test in which an instrument called...
Can digestive diseases be prevented?
To help prevent digestive diseases, doctors recommend the following: Chew food thoroughly, and do...
What Are the Symptoms of an Unhealthy Gastrointestinal System?