Why do I feel fatigue and confusion when I use my G-tube?

The gastrostomy tube (G-tube) is a type of feeding tube insertion in which a tube passes through the skin and the stomach wall, directly into the stomach. A feeding tube transports liquid nutrition to the stomach. The G-tube is a more permanent type of feeding tube and is used for many patients who have difficulty swallowing. Following a G-tube insertion, the stomach and abdomen generally heal in 5 to 7 days.

In most cases, pain is managed with medications. If you are taking new medications for pain, check with your doctor about any possible adverse reactions to the medications you are already taking. Alternatively, you may not be getting enough nutrition from your feedings or the feeds may be causing the dumping syndrome characterized by sweating, belly discomfort, low blood sugar and diarrhea. Dumping is caused by undigested sugars flooding the small bowel and may occur with highly concentrated feedings being delivered too quickly.

Check with your gastroenterologist to ensure your G-tube is functioning correctly and you are using the correct type and amount of nutritional formula.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.