Who is most at risk for viral gastrointestinal infections?

Children, the elderly, and people with weak immune systems are most at risk from viral gastrointestinal infections. The one thing all these groups have in common is poor immune defense against the viruses that can infect the gastrointestinal tract. Another element adding to the risk is that these sorts of infections are even more common in places where people gather, such as hospitals, elder care facilities, and child daycare.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Do I Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity, or a Wheat Allergy?
Odds are, someone you know has gone gluten-free. Perhaps they’re trying to drop some pounds, or they simply believe it’s healthier for them. Or, maybe...
Who is most affected by an obstetric fistula?
Obstetric fistula is a serious disorder for adults, especially, when left untreated. The illness mos...
How can my eating habits help control gastroparesis symptoms?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Changing your eating habits can help control gastroparesis. Your doctor or dietician may prescribe s...
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?
Is GERD the Same Thing As Heartburn?