What is Zollinger-Ellison syndrome?

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (ZES) is a condition where increased production and release of stomach acid is associated with the formation of ulcers. This is an uncommon cause of stomach and duodenal ulcers (peptic ulcers) as most are actually caused by bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). Most peptic ulcer disease caused by H. pylori can be treated effectively with acid reducing medications and antibiotics. ZES can be distinguished from the common cause of peptic ulcer disease in most cases, namely the presence of multiple or atypical ulcers. Atypical or multiple ulcers strongly suggest the diagnosis of ZES and therefore a gastrinoma, however in 18% to 25% of patients no ulcers are present at the time of diagnosis. 

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What is gastric ileus?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Gastric ileus is a condition in which normal gastric movement is stopped or slowed and normal ga...
What are the symptoms of functional dyspepsia?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
The Rome III criteria (diagnostic criteria for all functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders) state...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?