Are viral gastrointestinal infections a form of influenza?

Although viral gastrointestinal infections are commonly called the stomach flu, they are their own disease. There is no link between the viruses that cause gastroenteritis and the influenza virus. Furthermore, the viruses affect the intestinal tract as well as the stomach.
What many refer to as “stomach flu” is not influenza. Gastrointestinal illness can be caused by bacteria, parasites or viruses, though not the same ones that result in the flu. While influenza can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea — mostly in children — it is primarily a respiratory illness. The main symptoms of the seasonal flu include fever, cough, muscle aches and fatigue, and the illness can last up to two weeks.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
How is achalasia treated?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Achalasia makes it feel like food gets hung up before entering the stomach, and can be treated with ...
What is the rate of incidence of an obstetric fistula?
Estimates of the rate of incidence vary, since hundreds of thousands of undocumented cases of fistul...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?