Should I talk to my doctor about stomach flu?

Stomach flu usually resolves within a few days. You should consult your doctor if your symptoms persist, if you begin to see signs of dehydration, or if an infant or elderly person is suffering the symptoms of stomach flu. The doctor does not usually prescribe medication but may offer advice on how to manage the symptoms. The doctor may, rarely, take a stool sample or need to perform a colonoscopy to rule out other causes if the symptoms become too persistent.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.