What lifestyle changes should I make if I have an obstetric fistula?

Lifestyle changes to help you manage obstetric fistula include practicing good hygiene and avoiding irritants such as scented soaps, menstrual pads, and tampons. It is important for you to gently wash your genital area and to pat yourself thoroughly dry. You may also apply non-medicated talcum powders or creams to prevent fecal matter from further aggravating your skin. Wearing loose clothing may make you feel more comfortable as well. Unfortunately, if you cannot control the flow of your urine and feces, you may also have to avoid social contact until you receive treatment. Disposable underwear may give you some measure of freedom depending on the severity of the problem.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Digestive Diseases

Digestive diseases, also known as gastrointestinal diseases, are disorders that affect your esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines. The symptoms of digestive diseases vary widely depending on which part of your digestiv...

e system is affected. Generally symptoms can be blood in your stool, a change in bowel habits, pain, weight loss or heartburn that is not relieved by antacids. See you doctor if you have any of these signs of digestive disease.