How is indigestion diagnosed?

To diagnose indigestion, the doctor asks about the person's current symptoms and medical history and performs a physical examination. The doctor may order X-rays of the stomach and small intestine.

The doctor may perform blood, breath, or stool tests if the type of bacteria that causes peptic ulcer disease is suspected as the cause of indigestion.

The doctor may perform an upper endoscopy. After giving a sedative to help the person become drowsy, the doctor passes an endoscope-a long, thin tube that has a light and small camera on the end-through the mouth and gently guides it down the esophagus into the stomach. The doctor can look at the esophagus and stomach with the endoscope to check for any abnormalities. The doctor may perform biopsies-removing small pieces of tissue for examination with a microscope-to look for possible damage from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or an infection.

Since indigestion can be a sign of a more serious condition, people should see a doctor right away if they experience the following:

Frequent vomiting Blood in vomit Weight loss or loss of appetite Black tarry stools Difficult or painful swallowing Abdominal pain in a non-epigastric area Indigestion accompanied by shortness of breath, sweating, or pain that radiates to the jaw, neck, or arm

This answer is based on source information from the  National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Constipated? Always Going? Signs Your Digestion Isn't Normal
Everyone's digestion is a bit different, but there are some universal indicators of a healthy system—and an unhealthy one. First, let’s review the ba...
Are digestive diseases life-threatening?
Some digestive diseases can be life-threatening, especially if left untreated. These include inflamm...
Why should I pay attention to digestive problems?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Digestive complaints -- gas, bloating, reflux, constipation, heartburn, irritable bowel, pain, diarr...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?