How can I prevent viral gastroenteritis?

Prevention is the best way to avoid viral gastroenteritis. Two vaccines are available for viral gastroenteritis, RotaTeq and Rotarix. Both oral vaccines are approved by the US Food and Drug adminstration for infants aged 6 to14 weeks. Otherwise, you can avoid infection by:

Washing your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds after using the bathroom or changing diapersWashing your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds before eatingDisinfecting contaminated surfaces such as countertops and baby-changing stationsNot eating or drinking foods or liquids that might be contaminated

The answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What are symptoms of leaky gut syndrome?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
You should suspect Leaky Gut Syndrome if you have:pain in multiple jointsa chronic skin conditionc...
What are the causes of a mobile mass in my stomach?
Robert A. Wascher, MDRobert A. Wascher, MD
Unfortunately, there are many potential causes of a mass in the abdominal area.  In some cases, a be...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?