How does the brain affect digestive diseases?

The brain and the digestive system affect each other significantly. Enzyme secretion, intestinal contractions, and other aspects of the digestive process respond to a person's psychological state. Up to half of all people with digestive disease symptoms may have psychological factors influencing their digestion. This connection does not mean that the digestive problems in these cases are imaginary, only that they are influenced by the brain.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What causes blunting of the villi in the small intestine?
Michael Albertson, MDMichael Albertson, MD
Blunting of the villi in the small intestine can be caused by autoimmune diseases including thyroid ...
How should I prepare for my tests to diagnose digestive disease?
Your doctor will discuss preparing for diagnostic procedures with you before your test appointment. ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Digestive Diseases?