Can leaky gut syndrome make a medical condition worse?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
For most conditions, the precise role of Leaky Gut Syndrome remains unclear, but it seems to be part of a vicious cycle that makes the condition get worse over time. Allergic reactions to food, for example, cause a transient increase in intestinal permeability. If this happens frequently, it may increase the number or severity of food allergies.

In chronic fatigue syndrome and major depressive disorder, Leaky Gut Syndrome activates the intestinal immune system to produce chemicals called cytokines that spread inflammation through your body.

Inflammation is an important trigger for symptoms like fatigue, malaise, pain, and depression.

Continue Learning about Digestive Diseases

Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Good News About Difficult Colon Polyps
Every year tens of thousands of people face serious colon surgery to remove big polyps before they can morph into colon cancer. Many have part of thei...
What are the various products that contain lactose?
Milk and milk products are often added to processed foods-foods that have been altered to prolong th...
Does obstetric fistula limit my daily activities?
If you have obstetric fistula, you may be very limited in your activities due to lack of control of ...
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?