How can I control my weight when I eat out?

Eating out frequently can be a real challenge for weight control. Restaurant meals are often much higher in fat and calories than meals made at home, and portions can be enormous. Here are some tips for controlling your weight while eating out:
  • Choose restaurants wisely. Find ones that offer healthier choices and allow you to make substitutions.
  • Practice portion control. It’s easy to overeat when your plate is brimming over with food. You can ask your waiter to save half your plate (in a take-home container) even before you start eating.
  • Don’t be shy about asking for changes. If the salad comes with fried chicken, see if you can get it with grilled chicken instead. Ask your waiter to leave the croutons off the salad.
  • Try a vegetarian meal from time to time.
  • For dessert, consider fresh fruit.
If you eat out often, start thinking of the meals as a regular part of your overall eating plan, rather than as occasions for splurging.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
In 1960, Rod Serling introduced his TV show by saying: “You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...
Should I punish myself when I go off my diet?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
A complicated question. Psychologists prefer not to use punishment frequently because of nasty and u...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Rhenotha Talks About Her Short-Burst Diet