What is fish oil?

Fish oil essential fatty acids (omega-3 polyunsaturated fats) that can be found in certain fish, plants, nut oils, or vegetables. As these essential fatty acids are not created by the body, they must be consumed through the diet. Do not confuse omega-3 fatty acids for omega-6 fatty acids, which can be found in foods such as avocados, eggs, and sunflower seed oil.

A fish oil supplement is an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, as it supplies you with both docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Other sources of omega-3 fatty acids include walnuts, canola oil, soybeans, flaxseed/linseed oil, and olive oil. These foods all contain the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
What are the nutritional benefits of eating wheat?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The story of wheat in the U.S. unfortunately starts with a raw material that is very nutritious and ...
How are nutritional supplements regulated?
Because nutritional supplements are classified as food products and not medicines, they aren't regul...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?