What should I know about fish oil before taking it?

Before you start taking a fish oil supplement, tell your doctor if you have any allergies, especially if you are allergic or hypersensitive to fish or other sources of omega-3 fatty acids such as nuts or plants. Talk to your doctor about the possible risks and benefits of fish oil if any of these conditions apply to you: you have diabetes, liver disease, a pancreatic disorder or thyroid problems; you are pregnant, breastfeeding or wish to become pregnant. The effects of fish oil on pregnancy are unknown. It is not known if omega-3 fatty acids pass through breast milk and affect infants. If fish oil is carelessly processed, it may contain certain chemicals that are harmful to unborn babies, children and pregnant women. It is also important to tell your doctor if you take any supplements or vitamins, especially vitamin A or D, which are often included in fish oil supplements. Taking too much vitamin A or D can be dangerous. Talk to your doctor about the safety of fish oil if you smoke, use illegal drugs or consume alcohol (at least two beverages per day).

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Unapproved Prescription Drugs Sold in Supplements
When major league baseball suspended Alex Rodriguez for using performance-enhancing steroids, they also cleaned up clubhouses across the country. Too ...
Do mood-boosting nutritional supplements have side effects?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Supplements can and do interact with prescription medication and create serious problems. It's impor...
What should I know before taking Multitrace 5 Concentrate?
Before taking Multitrace 5 Concentrate, you should know that certain people could be at greater risk...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?