How can walnuts keep my brain healthy?

Walnuts have long been considered good for the brain. They are rich with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids, which also have positive effects on mood. Like many antidepressants, walnuts work to boost the brain’s serotonin levels. The healthy oil also works at lowering cholesterol.

Walnuts are a delicious addition to savory dishes like salads, oatmeal, and stuffing. Try not to eat too many, however, as walnuts are high in calories. Try to limit your serving to 1 ounce or 14 walnut halves.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Walnuts are made up of 15 to 20 percent protein and contain linoleic (omega-6 fatty acids) and alpha-linoleic acids (omega-3 fatty acids), vitamin E and vitamin B6, making them an excellent source of nourishment for your nervous system.

If you love the crunch of croutons on your salad, try walnuts instead. Omega-3 fatty acids in walnuts have been found to improve mood and calm inflammation that may lead to brain-cell death. They also replace lost melatonin, which is necessary for healthy brain functioning.
Picture of walnut salad

Continue Learning about Diet & Nervous System

What is the role of red wine in keeping my brain healthy?
AARPAARP
Up to two glasses of red wine per day for women and up to three for men weekly delivers the powerful...
How can Chinese club moss keep my brain healthy?
AARPAARP
Add Chinese club moss to your daily vitamin regimen. Taking less than 100 micrograms of the herb dai...
Dr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain Health
Dr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain Health
These recipes deliver brain-healthy nutrients to keep your mind sharp.
How Coffee and Red Wine Help Your Memory