Why is frequent snacking bad for my teeth?

Snacking a lot during the day can increase the risk of developing tooth decay. Plaque, a sticky film of bacteria, forms on your teeth all the time. When you have foods or drinks that contain sugar, the bacteria in plaque produce harmful acids that attack your tooth enamel. These acids can stay in your mouth for up to 20 minutes after you eat. Frequent acid attacks can break down the enamel and cavities can develop.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth

4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
Backyard barbecues, afternoons spent poolside, and days at the amusement park just wouldn’t be the same without ice-cold lemonade. Unfortunately, the ...
How can I find out if my diet is affecting my oral health?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
If you tend to have oral nuisances, try keeping a food journal, if only for few days. Jot down every...
How does mineral deficiency affect oral health?
Several oral health problems can result from mineral deficiency: Calcium deficiency can cause se...
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?