What foods should I avoid to keep my teeth healthy and white?

Some foods can affect the color of teeth as well as the health of teeth.

• Avoid sugary foods. Sugar that is left on the teeth for periods of time attacks the enamel, as well as can lead to cavities. 
  • Avoid drinking too much coffee, tea, red wine, soda and other darkly colored beverages.

Brushing teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste helps clear food from the teeth. Chewing gum after meals when you're not able to brush also helps as saliva also helps by bathing the teeth and clearing the sugars or food off teeth.

To keep your teeth healthy and white, limit your intake of sugary drinks (regular soda, fruit juices) and foods that are especially high in sugar, like candy. That deprives the bacteria that live in your mouth of the sugar they use to produce enamel-destroying acid that can cause tooth decay. To keep your teeth white, avoid tea, coffee, red wine, and cola-type sodas. All of these drinks can give your teeth a yellowish or brownish tint.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Red wine, coffee and some teas tend to stain teeth because they have a lot of pigment. In this video Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains how you can still enjoy these beverages while minimizing the staining on your teeth.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth

4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
Backyard barbecues, afternoons spent poolside, and days at the amusement park just wouldn’t be the same without ice-cold lemonade. Unfortunately, the ...
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?