What over-the-counter medications can I take to relieve diarrhea?

Over-the-counter medications are available to help treat the symptoms of diarrhea, but if your diarrhea lasts for more than four days, contact a healthcare professional. Below are some of the nonprescription medications available to treat diarrhea:
  • Treatments containing bismuth subsalicylate, such as Pepto-Bismol and Kaopectate
  • Treatments containing loperamide, such as Imodium or generic equivalent
  • Treatments containing kaolin and pectin, such as Kapectolin

Note: In the past few years, Kaopectate has changed its formula, and in some cases, the older version (with active ingredients attapulgite or kaolin and pectin) may still be on drugstore shelves. To be sure you're using the right treatment, check the label. And always read the label of any medication before dispensing it to children.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
What happens if I miss a dose of my antidiarrheal?
If you miss a dose of your antidiarrheal, you should try to take the next dose as soon as possib...
What are some brand name antidiarrheal medications?
There are many different brand names associated with antidiarrheal medications and they are usua...
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?