Do diaphragms prevent sexually transmitted diseases?

No.  Diaphragms only protect against pregnancy by covering the cervix.  The mucous membranes of the vagina are still fully exposed to infectious agents during intercourse.  Always use condoms, male or female, for better protection against sexually transmitted diseases.
Angela Lowery
Family Medicine

Diaphragms alone do not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases. Your partner should wear a condom to offer additional protection. A condom and a diaphragm used together will provide the most protection against diseases and pregnancy.

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Diaphragms provide a barrier against sperm and some of the toxins like nicotine that can be found in a partner’s sperm for the cervix. They can help prevent pregnancy and some cervical infections but need to be well fitted and maintained properly so there are no pin holes or slipping. They do not protect against many of the STDs and a better option to provide protection against pregnancy and STDs would be to have your partner wear a condom while you use the diaphragm.

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

What is a diaphragm?
A diaphragm is a form of birth control used by women. A diaphragm is made of flexible rubber and...
If I use the diaphragm without spermicide, will it work at all?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Yes, but using a diaphragm without spermicide will reduce its effectiveness. Studies are now under w...
Does using a diaphragm increase my risk of bladder infections?
Any action or device that increases the possibility of bacteria entering the urethra increases your ...
How do I use a diaphragm to prevent pregnancy?
Practice inserting and removing your diaphragm before sex play with a partner. It can be awkward at ...