What is an evoked potential test?

A diagnostic tool, evoked potential tests, involve the placement of electrodes on the head and body. Response is recorded to determine where delays in nerve transmission occur. The visual evoked potential (VEP) test measures response to repeated visual stimuli to detect optic neuritis. The brainstem auditory evoked potential (BAEP) test detects abnormalities in the brainstem, which cause delays in the transmission of sound. The somatosensory evoked potential (SSEP) test delivers brief electrical stimulus to the wrist or ankle, in order to detect disruptions in the pathways from the arms and legs to the brain at very specific positions in the central nervous system (CNS).

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
How should I prepare for a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before a test that uses an intravenous (IV) contrast material, talk to your healthcare providers...
How do I prepare for an endoscopy?
Chekesha Culbertson, RNChekesha Culbertson, RN
Patients should not have anything to eat or drink 6-8 hours before an endoscopy. In this video, Kesh...