Which foods can help protect my eyes if I have diabetes?

Diabetes is still the leading cause of blindness among Americans today. High blood sugar can lead to glaucoma, which in turn can cause damage to the eyes optic nerve, causing loss of vision. High blood sugar can also cause damage to the eye’s retina and increase the risk of developing cataracts.

Eat more produce, namely a broad variety of colored fruits and vegetables. The antioxidants in fresh produce including vitamin C, lutein and zeaxanthin help to stabilize the retina of the eye and also reduce the risk of developing cataracts and other eye ailments.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Pancreas and Diabetes
The Pancreas and Diabetes
Take a trip inside the body with this video from Virtual Health Solutions. Get an up-close look at the pancreas, the gland that produces the hormone i...
What should I know before taking an SGLT2 inhibitor?
Your doctor will need to test your kidney function before starting treatment. If you have severe kid...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Is Integrative Medicine the Same as Alternative Medicine?