Which foods can help protect my eyes if I have diabetes?

Diabetes is still the leading cause of blindness among Americans today. High blood sugar can lead to glaucoma, which in turn can cause damage to the eyes optic nerve, causing loss of vision. High blood sugar can also cause damage to the eye’s retina and increase the risk of developing cataracts.

Eat more produce, namely a broad variety of colored fruits and vegetables. The antioxidants in fresh produce including vitamin C, lutein and zeaxanthin help to stabilize the retina of the eye and also reduce the risk of developing cataracts and other eye ailments.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.