How can I know if a new diabetes product is right for me?

This is one time when being a skeptic is a good idea. Many times, news releases make a product sound like it will work for everyone, but in fact it may only be useful for specific conditions.

In the United States, we have many regulations to protect us from unproved (and possibly dangerous) new treatments. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict guidelines regarding the research and testing that must be done on a new drug or therapy before it can be sold to the public.

Many times you will read reports about a new product or drug, but it is still in the early phases of testing. Testing takes several years. If safety problems or side effects are found during the testing, the product will not be marketed.

Your health care team may have information on new products, so you should check with them when something new is available. They will help you make a decision as to whether the new product is right for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes-Friendly Foods for Your Eyes
Diabetes-Friendly Foods for Your Eyes
Diabetes is a condition that prevents your body from producing or responding to the insulin it needs to bring sugar from the blood stream to cells, wh...
If I've just been diagnosed with diabetes, what do I need to know?
Dr. Ronald Tamler, MDDr. Ronald Tamler, MD
If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, you need to know the kind of diabetes that you have. In...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Are the Side Effects of DPP-4 Inhibitors?