What is juvenile diabetes?

Juvenile diabetes is another name for type 1 diabetes. People with type 1 diabetes make very little or no insulin. Watch the video to learn more about type 1 diabetes.

Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Juvenile diabetes also called Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder that destroys the Beta cells that are found in the islets of Langerhans within the pancreas.

With juvenile diabetes antibodies that are produced in white blood cells are hard wired to attack beta cells as though they were a pathogen and destroy the beta cells needed to produce insulin.

Therefore juvenile diabetics are required to inject insulin multiple times daily or use an insulin pump to continuously release insulin into subcutaneous fat.

Insulin is necessary for the human body to remove excess glucose from the blood stream. This process maintains healthy functioning of all systems in the human body.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
How can diabetes affect my intestinal tract?
Michael Albertson, MDMichael Albertson, MD
Diabetes can affect your intestinal tract by causing diarrhea, bloating or gas. Your stomach may not...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Are There Foods That Are Off Limits If You Have Diabetes?