What are the benefits of eating hummus if I have diabetes?

Hummus, a Middle Eastern specialty, is a great addition to a diabetes-friendly plate. If you have diabetes, the fiber and protein in chickpeas -- 12 grams of dietary fiber and 15 grams of protein per cup -- help regulate the absorption of the sugars from the starch so your blood sugar stays on an even keel. The healthy fats from the tahini (made from ground sesame seeds) and olive oil slows the absorption of sugars even more. Pair your hummus with vegetables and whole-grain crackers for an even greater effect.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
What are some of the myths about diabetes?
There are a number of myths about type 2 diabetes. The most dangerous myth is the belief that diabet...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Are There Foods That Are Off Limits If You Have Diabetes?