Should I see my doctor before I travel if I have diabetes?

If you are planning to travel and have diabetes, get a medical exam before you go. Schedule a pre-travel checkup with your healthcare professional about four to six weeks before your trip, for any kind of travel.

Be sure to get any immunizations you may need early enough so you’ll have time to recover if they affect you. Get a prescription for insulin or diabetes pills you may need while gone and a letter from your doctor explaining what you need to do to manage your diabetes, such as take insulin or diabetes pills. The letter should list any medications or devices you use, as well as any allergies you have.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
If you have diabetes, you may have heard of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS), also known as hyper...
What are the risk factors of type 2 diabetes in children?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Type 2 diabetes occurs when insulin that the body produces is less efficient at moving sugar out of ...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
6 Steps to Better Exercise With Diabetes