How often should I be tested for diabetes?

If your blood glucose levels are in the normal range, it is reasonable to be checked for diabetes every 3 years. If you have prediabetes, you should be checked for type 2 diabetes every 1-2 years after your diagnosis.
When it comes to understanding your diabetes risk, knowledge is power, which is why regular diabetes screenings are so important. A simple blood test can tell you if your blood glucose is rising or whether you have prediabetes, a state in which blood sugar levels are slightly elevated but not high enough to qualify for diabetes. Experts estimate that prediabetes affects 79 million people in the U.S. "When people learn they have prediabetes, I tell them they're extremely lucky," says Betul Hatipoglu, MD, an endocrinologist at Cleveland Clinic. "It's an opportunity for them to make changes so they can reverse the disease." Get a blood glucose test every one to three years, depending on whether you have other risk factors.
It is recommended that you have a fasting plasma glucose test every three years starting at age 45. However, they are recommended more often, or earlier, if you're overweight or at risk for diabetes. The fasting plasma glucose test (also called blood glucose test) provides an early warning sign of high blood sugar levels, which could mean an increased risk for diabetes. 

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
With diabetes, why do I need to be aware of carbohydrate content of food?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can’t get diabetes from eating too much sugar or other carbohydrates. However, eating too much i...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Can an Artificial Pancreas Treat Type 1 Diabetes?